Facebook killer takes his own life as police close in

Marsha Scott
April 19, 2017

"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Robert Godwin, Sr.", he said.

The shooter, who appeared to choose his victim at random, also posted that he had killed 12 people in all and vowed to continue killing.

Stephens then fatally shot himself inside the auto.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg addressed the "Facebook Killer" tragedy at the beginning of his company's annual developer's conference on Tuesday morning.

Zuckerberg said Tuesday that Facebook will do all it can to prevent such tragedies. Authorities in Cleveland have expanded their manhunt nationwide for Stephens, a man suspected of gunning down a retiree and posting a video of the crime on Facebook. Facebook said it removed the video of the shooting 23 minutes after learning of it.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf says police heroically took quick action to keep others safe. During the press conference, authorities said there will be an autopsy on Stephens' body and that will be done in Erie, Pennsylvania, where the chase ensued and where Stephens killed himself. Stephens later posted the video of him shooting and killing Godwin on Facebook.

Steve Stephens was accused of shooting Robert Godwin Sr.

More news: North Korea flaunts long-range missiles in massive parade
More news: Snapchat users snub app after CEO's alleged 'poor country' remark
More news: Google to launch revamped Google Earth on April 18

First, its violence and graphic content policy says the site will remove graphic images when they are shared for "sadistic pleasure or to celebrate or glorify violence". Detectives spoke with the suspect on Sunday by cellphone and tried to persuade him to surrender, police said.

While rumors had incorrectly placed Steve Stephens in Philadelphia on Monday, authorities caught up with the 37-year-old on Tuesday roughly 400 miles away in the northwest Pennsylvania county.

Based on the timeline, there was a significant gap between when the video of the shooting was reported and when it was taken down by the company.

A female employee recognized Stephens when he came up to the window, then she confirmed with other workers that it was him, according to police and Tom DuCharme, who owns that McDonald's franchise.

Facebook posted a response to the incident on its blog Monday afternoon, penned by VP of Global Operations Justin Osofsky.

"We have a responsibility to continue to get better at making sure we are not a tool for spreading [hate]", he said.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article