Chibok Girls Lawmaker urges FG to speed effort in releasing the remaining

Glen Mclaughlin
May 9, 2017

About 82 of the girls, who were abducted from their school in April 2014, were released on Saturday as part of a prisoner swap that saw the release of some Boko Haram suspects.

Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari has shocked his country by announcing he is heading to London for medical checks.

There was no comment yet from the Nigerian presidency or Boko Haram, an extremist group linked to the Islamic State.

The government secured the release with mediation by the International Committee of the Red Cross.

"We've always made it clear that we will do everything in our power to ensure the freedom & safe return of our daughters" and all captives of Boko Haram, Buhari said on his Twitter account.

"Meanwhile, we rejoice with the girls and their families and hope that their remaining colleagues will join them in freedom in no distant future".

"So when you do have individuals that are being released back into the group, any impact that they may have in enhancing Boko Haram's operational capabilities will more than likely be limited to the specified area where they are deployed, as opposed to having a wide impact on the trajectory of the insurgency, " he said.

The mass abduction three years ago caused an worldwide outcry and led to the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign championed by then-first lady Michelle Obama.

More news: Le Pen Visits French Factory, Macron Wins Ally before Runoff
More news: French presidential race enters final week with May Day rallies
More news: Ariel Winter Wore Something *Yawn* And People Have A Problem With It

"UNICEF is committed to doing whatever it takes, as long as it takes, to help these children recover a sense of normalcy with our available resources", Ironside added.

The Bring Back Our Girls campaign said Sunday it was happy that Nigeria's government had committed to rescuing the 113 remaining schoolgirls.

Speaking on Arise Television last night, she said: "Even though there are reports that some of the girls are unwilling to come along with the 82 freed girls because they may have been radicalised, the government should not be discouraged".

Last year, a first group of 21 Chibok girls was freed in October, and they have been in government care for medical attention, trauma counselling and rehabilitation. Others did not want to come home because they'd been radicalized by their captors, the girls said.

The president said the schoolgirls were freed in exchange for detained suspected extremists in the largest negotiated release so far of the almost 300 girls whose mass abduction in 2014 highlighted the threat of Nigeria's homegrown extremist fighters who are linked to the Islamic State group.

Human rights groups have voiced fears that some of the Chibok girls may have lost their lives as suicide bombers.

The ACF in statement by its national publicity secretary, Muhammad Ibrahim Biu yesterday said though the period of negotiations for their release had been painstaking and traumatic, the patience and prayers of Nigerians have yielded positive results.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER