Slain Broadwater deputy was father of three; one suspect hospitalized, one jailed

Audrey Hill
May 23, 2017

A sheriff's deputy was killed during a traffic stop early Tuesday, prompting a middle-of-the-night chase across five southwestern Montana counties during which the suspects fired shots at pursuing officers. He was a husband and father of three children. He was a 3 year veteran of the sheriff's office.

Moore was shot and killed near Three Forks shortly before 3 a.m.

The Missoulian reports the driver, 61-year-old Lloyd Barrus, was arrested on suspicion of deliberate homicide.

They are Marshall Barrus, 38, of Gallatin County and Lloyd Barrus, 62, whose last known address was in Bakersfield California.

The suspects took off from the scene then later were pursued by other law enforcement officers.

According to law enforcement, the deputy had pulled a vehicle over in what's described as a "routine stop" at approximately 3 a.m.

The exit for 287 has reopened for traffic headed north toward Helena In Broadwater County. Donnie Drose confirmed Moore worked with the sheriff's office between 2007 and 2011. His condition has not been released.

More news: Ringling Bros. shuts down the big top
More news: Next stop for Trump is Israel, in pursuit of 'ultimate deal'
More news: Referee Steinhaus promoted as 1st women in Bundesliga

Gallatin County and Montana Highway Patrol officers found Moore dead by the side of the road near Three Forks, about 175 miles (281 kilometers) southeast of Missoula, said Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin.

It was spotted in Anaconda and a pursuit began westbound on I-90.

U.S. Highway 287 between Townsend and Three Forks was closed Tuesday while the shooting is investigated. Before sunrise, the chase had ended with the vehicle driving on its rims, a suspect shot and hospitalized and his father under arrest, officials said. The white SUV was the vehicle being pursued.

However, three Butte police cars were damaged by gunshots and taken to Missoula for investigation purposes. Officers deployed spike strips, but the vehicle continued another 30 miles (48 kilometers) on Interstate 90.

The Montana Division of Criminal Investigation is investigating the officer's shooting along with four other crime scenes stretching from Butte to the Rock Creek area, where the pursuit ended. The driver, the shooter's father, was arrested. It's cruel irony that a law enforcement officer was shot and killed the day after Peace Officers Memorial Day.Tragic incidents like this should serve as a reminder to all of us to be thankful every day for those in uniform who serve and protect our communities.

The names of the officer and the suspects have not been released.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article