Southampton to ask for investigation over Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk approach

Hope Soto
June 7, 2017

Fans and, it seems, Klopp, are hopeful that Van Dijk, who has proven himself to be an extremely skilled player in that position, could find that partnership with current Liverpool player Joël Matip.

The Daily Echo today reports that if Van Dijk is to sign for Liverpool, the defender will need to be the one to force a move through.

His signature will be a coup for manager Jurgen Klopp who is looking to strengthen his options and squad as Liverpool prepare for next season's Champions League competition.

Celtic are in line for a bumper windfall should Virgil van Dijk leave Southampton this summer.

Last month, Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger told Press Association Sport the club could turn down even a £60million bid for Van Dijk.

More news: PM To Attend UN Oceans Conference In NY, USA
More news: Britain's Prince Harry in Sydney for Invictus Games launch
More news: Afghanistan sees ISI hand in Kabul blast

However, BBC Radio Solent and other media outlets reported later on Tuesday Southampton were unhappy and had asked the Premier League to probe whether there had been an illegal approach by Liverpool.

Southampton have consistently said they do not intend to sell Van Dijk, who joined from Celtic for £13 million in September 2015 and signed a new six-year contract in 2016. Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Nathaniel Clyne, Dejan Lovren and Sadio Mane have all made the journey in recent years - four of them remain first team regulars with Liverpool.

Liverpool could have saved themselves the hassle as well as the money if they just signed Van Dijk two years ago.

Liverpool are thought to be willing to pay 60 million pounds, which would represented an incredible return on investment for Southampton, but according to the Liverpool Echo on Wednesday, the Saints want more.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER