Great Ormond Street hits out at US doctor over Charlie Gard

Marsha Scott
July 25, 2017

According to CBS News' partner network BBC News, Grant Armstrong, the couple's lawyer, told the court on Monday that the decision had been made to end the legal battle due to a us expert in baby Charlie Gard's condition changing his stance on the likely success of any treatment he could offer.

The parents had made the decision to end the legal battle following the latest medical reports and scans, although they said that the US and Italian hospitals that could conduct the treatment were still willing to help.

On Monday a lawyer representing the couple told the High Court that "time had run out" for the baby boy and that the couple had withdrawn their application to take him overseas.

"A whole lot of wasted time", his father Chris Gard said outside the court, where supporters chanted "Justice for Charlie" and waved blue balloons.

The parents of terminally baby Charlie Gard have their "worst nightmare" realised as they end their legal challenge to have their child treated in the US.

A lawyer for the parents of critically ill Charlie Gard says the window during which the baby could have been helped by experimental treatment has closed.

According to the BBC, Armstrong told the judge "that U.S. neurologist Dr. Michio Hirano had said he was no longer willing to offer the baby experimental therapy after he saw the results of a new MRI scan last week".

"What appears to have happened at the meeting last Monday is, when they sat down with the best available evidence, they got closer to a common view than they had previously", Montgomery said.

More news: Search ops underway for 39 missing Indians
More news: Tapper Goes After Scaramucci For Changing His Stance On Trump
More news: Antonio Conte made a decision to sell Diego Costa in January

British doctors believe Gard's brain damage is "severe and irreversible" and have said the baby "may be suffering".

Mr Justice Francis said "no parent could have done more for their child (and) none of us can begin to understand their agony", before confirming he would not change the orders he made in April. Both the Pope and US President Donald Trump have shown their support for Charlie's parents.

The Charlie's Fight campaign thanked people for their "unwavering support" during the legal battle that has lasted for more than three months and reached the UK Supreme Court.

Dad Chris spoke to reporters in an emotional statement outside the court. "Had Charlie been given treatment sooner he would have had the potential to be a normal, healthy little boy". The court previously ruled that Gard's life-support machine should be switched off and that he should be allowed die with "dignity".

But his parents wanted to bring him to the U.S. for an experimental therapy called nucleoside bypass therapy.

However, Judge Nicholas Francis had scheduled the two-day hearing for this week to consider fresh evidence after Dr. Hirano came to London to examine the child.

Charlie Gard's devastated parents have told their son they are "so sorry we could not save you".

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER