Parents of United Kingdom baby announce his death

Glen Mclaughlin
July 30, 2017

"Had Charlie been given the treatment sooner, he would have had the potential to be a normal, healthy little boy", Gard said.

His parents had raised money to take him to the United States for an experimental treatment they had not yet tried, but doctors at Great Ormond Street asserted that the child had no chance of survival.

US Vice-President Mike Pence, who controversially used the case to argue against state-funded healthcare systems, said on Twitter: 'Saddened to hear of the passing of Charlie Gard. Karen & I offer our prayers & condolences to his loving parents during this hard time'. Charlie was the 16th person to ever be diagnosed with the disease, according to his parents.

As the disease progressed, Charlie became weaker, losing the ability to move his arms or legs or breathe, and he experienced seizures.

The pope reacted quickly to the news of Charlie's death, tweeting late Friday "I entrust little Charlie to the Father and pray for his parents and all those who loved him". Hospital opposes the plan and it is dismissed.

The couple said they wanted to take their son across the Atlantic for nucleoside bypass therapy, but specialists at GOSH in London, where Charlie was being cared for, said the treatment was experimental and would not help. His parents were forced to give up their fight and succumb to the hospital's demands to remove life support.

The following day, US President Donald Trump said in a tweet: "If we can help little Charlie Gard, as per our friends in the United Kingdom and the pope, we would be delighted to do so".

What could have been a private loss quickly turned into an worldwide court drama.

Ms Yates and Mr Gard wanted to spend at least a week at the hospice with Charlie before he was taken off a ventilator, but the high court ruled it was not in his best interests.

More news: Dragon Quest XI Coming to the United States in 2018
More news: FDA Targets Nicotine Levels in Tobacco
More news: Gujarat Congress faces another jolt as 3 of its MLAs join BJP

They lost a series of appeals in British courts and the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

The case made it all the way to Britain's Supreme Court as Charlie's parents refused to accept earlier rulings. Hirano came to London, evaluated Charlie and spoke with those who had been treating him and other experts.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May also released a statement.

Theresa May said she was deeply saddened and U.S. vice-president Mike Pence expressed his regret. "Sometimes they do not have the strength, confidence or support to deal with the media and the public and often find themselves under pressure to agree with the hospital over a course of action". Pro-life campaigners and right-wing politicians from both sides of the Atlantic seized the opportunity to chime in.

Dr Ravi said Great Ormond Street Hospital may have been portrayed as "heartless" and "not giving a damn" as a result of 24-hour news and social media.

Charlie would have celebrated his first birthday next week. They regretted that they weren't able to transfer Charlie sooner, as the baby might have had a chance to survive.

A court had ordered that the 11-month-old should be moved from hospital to a hospice, where his life support was withdrawn.

"Our lovely little boy has gone, we are so proud of you Charlie", Connie Yates, Charlie's mother, said in a statement, as cited by The Guardian.

"Mummy and Daddy love you so much Charlie, we always have and we always will and we are so sorry that we couldn't save you", Chris Gard said. "We are so proud of you, Charlie". "Sweet dreams baby. Sleep tight our handsome little boy'".

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER