U.S. military confirms it backed Somalia raid

Marsha Scott
August 28, 2017

Somali forces, supported by United States troops, have killed 10 Somalis, including three children, in a village near the capital Mogadishu, a witness and local officials have said.

An attack carried out by Somalian and U.S. forces in Lower Shabelle region of southern Somalia on Friday left 10 civilians dead, local media reported. A corrected statement said that "it appears that there were different security operations" in the area. "We take any allegations of civilian casualties seriously, and per standard, we are conducting an assessment into the situation to determine the facts on the ground", Africom said in a statement issued on Friday night. He calls the attack a "real genocide".

The deputy governor of Somalia's Lower Shabelle region says the raid by foreign and Somali forces on a farm killed 10 civilians, including three children. Bodies of civilians, especially those killed in misdirected attacks, are often taken from remote areas to Mogadishu to draw media attention.

The U.S. Africa Command gives no further details on Friday's operation.

The incident is likely to provoke questions in Washington about the growing USA footprint in the Horn of Africa nation, which has been torn apart by civil war since 1991.

More news: Qatar's Envoy Officially Resumes Activities in Iran
More news: Reasons that make Judwaa 2 a MUST watch!
More news: Trump says GOP botched debt ceiling negotiations

Bariire is at the centre of a feud between two powerful and well-armed clans, lawmaker Dahir Amin Jesow said. "All the 10 people were asleep and I ran for my life", he said. "As I ran away I could see four armored vehicles parked outside", Wador said.

The ten bodies were shown to the media by relatives and Medina Hospital officials. An injured man later died, medical staff said. Last year, the USA killed my people in Galkayo in a deliberate strike. "We shall no longer tolerate it", he said.

"I can confirm to you those killed in this incident were all civilians and farmers; It is not true that they were al-Shabab members as initially stated by government officials".

Earlier this year, President Donald Trump approved expanded military operations against al-Shabab, including more aggressive air strikes.

The statement comes after the Somalia military said eight Al-Shabaab militants were killed during the joint security operation.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article