Chelsea, Atletico Madrid Officially Agree to Deal for Diego Costa's Transfer

Hope Soto
September 22, 2017

According to multiple sources across Spain this afternoon, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid have finally reached a deal to send striker Diego Costa to the Spanish capital.

Both Chelsea and Atletico Madrid have confirmed that Diego Costa is leaving the English club for the Spanish side.

Costa can't play for Atletico now because the club was banned by Federation Internationale de Football Association from registering new players until 2018, for having broken rules regarding the transfer of underage players.

Costa, a key figure in Chelsea's two titles in the last three seasons, has not featured for the club since the FA Cup final defeat against Arsenal in May.

July 21: On Chelsea's pre-season tour to Asia, without Costa, Conte says the decision to cut the striker from his squad was made in January.

The Spanish worldwide doesn't want to miss the plane for Russian Federation 2018, but won't be able to play until January, when the Colchoneros will be allowed to sign players again.

More news: Qatar emir takes nation's case on embargo
More news: Markets Trade Flat, Sensex at 32408, Nifty Above 10000
More news: The Last Jedi prequel comic

Costa then refused to return to London, opting to remain in his native Brazil until an agreement was reached with the club he spent four years at before joining Chelsea in 2014.

Sky sources indicate Atletico will pay more than £50m for the Spain global, who will now have a medical in Madrid and discuss personal terms.

You've got to hand it to Chelsea, they're really quite good at this "selling on" racket.

Later in that month, Tianjin Quanjian's owner said a bid to sign Costa had been scuppered by new rules over foreign players in the Chinese Super League.

Chelsea will not be subsiding his wages after he has signed for Atletico.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article