Flesh-Eating Bacteria From Oysters Linked to Death in Texas

Glen Mclaughlin
January 10, 2018

Unfortunately, she died on October, 152017. They purchasing a sack of raw oysters at a market, then shucked and ate them.

Bowers and LeBlanc's wife, Vickie Bergquist, are working to keep others from suffering a similar fate.

"About 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, had a rash on her legs and everything", LeBlanc's partner Vicki Bergquist said. "(She) had a rash on her legs and everything".

LeBlanc's condition worsened for weeks before she succumbed.

Doctors diagnosed LeBlanc with vibriosis.

Jeannette LeBlanc spent 21 days in hospital in September a year ago before succumbing to a deadly infection on 15 October. Her family and friends believed that it was a simple allergic reaction. While most Vibrio can cause treatable human illnesses, one rare type of flesh-eating vibrio bacteria can cause a fatal necrotizing fasciitis condition.

If you develop a skin infection, tell your medical provider if your skin has come into contact with brackish or salt water, raw seafood, or raw seafood juices.

More news: Nicole Kidman Celebrated Her Golden Globes Win by Joining Instagram
More news: Watch this JMU receiver make a HELMET CATCH in the FCS Championship
More news: Trump's corrupt media awards: Why some pundits are angling to win

The woman's boyfriend and her friend are now trying to raise awareness about the disease.

"It we had known that the risk was so high, I think [LeBlanc] would've stopped eating oysters", Bergquist said.

Some may believe that hot sauce or lemon juice kill any harmful bacteria, but the Food and Drug Administration explains that cooking your food is the only way to destroy vibrio.

CDC provided some tips to reduce the risk of vibriosis.

In September, a Texas woman landed in hospital after eating two dozen raw oysters. It is best to cook them before eating.

Always wash your hands with soap and water after handing raw shellfish. For those who have wounds or cuts, washing thoroughly with soap and water if exposed to seawater or raw seafood or its juices is a must.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, people become infected with Vibrio after eating raw or undercooked shellfish or by exposing open wounds to brackish water. Most people who contract Vibrio from raw oysters experience only diarrhea and vomiting, and those with these milder cases typically recover in about 3 days, according to the CDC.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER