Injured Rafael Nadal will miss Indian Wells, Miami events

Marcus Newton
March 5, 2018

Wawrinka says in a statement he will miss the Masters-level Indian Wells and Miami events to prepare for the European clay-court season.

Former world No. 3 Stan Wawrinka has withdrawn from the Miami Open and Indian Wells tournaments this month to continue his recovery from a persistent knee injury, the Swiss right-hander said on Thursday.

"Unfortunately, the injury I suffered in Acapulco before starting the tournament is in the same area as the one suffered in Melbourne".

The 31-year-old 16-time Grand Slam victor had been left distraught on Tuesday after suddenly pulling out of Acapulco just hours before his opening match. Wawrinka has played three further events, in Sofia, Rotterdam and Marseille, but won only two matches and retired during his opener against Ilya Ivashka in France last week.

"We are disappointed that Rafa will not be able to compete for the title at this year's BNP Paribas Open", said Tommy Haas, the Indian Wells Tournament Director.

More news: Tiwari, students meet Rajnath for CBI probe
More news: Barnaby Joyce says Vikki Campion's baby paternity is a 'grey area'
More news: Lebanese PM visits Saudi Arabia in pursuit of "best ties"

Wawrinka, who made the Indian Wells final a year ago, underwent left knee surgery last August, and despite playing in Australia, still needs more time for recovery.

However, the No 1 seed was forced to retire from his quarter-final clash with Marin Cilic due to a leg injury which he appears to have reaggravated.

The 16-time Grand Slam champion would have been well placed to return to the top of the rankings in either Indian Wells or Miami had he secured victory in Acapulco.

"Doctors have told me that it is impossible to play, regardless of whether it hurts", Nadal said on Saturday.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article