Will David Luiz play for Chelsea again this season? Antonio Conte responds

Hope Soto
April 30, 2018

Antonio Conte believes Gary Cahill should be named in England's World Cup squad despite dropping the defender for Chelsea earlier this season.

The 32-year-old said last week that he remained optimistic about returning to the global fold, despite enduring a "rollercoaster" of a season in which he has struggled to maintain his place in Chelsea's starting lineup.

The centre-back has struggled for form, losing his place in both the Chelsea and England side.

Cahill wore the armband several times for the Blues last season as the ageing Terry was resigned to the bench, but saw himself dropped from the starting XI for a spell this term. "We will see. Now he is having training sessions and he is improving a lot", Conte said on the eve of Chelsea's clash with Swansea City.

"I know that when you have to go to play this competition, the World Cup or European Championships, it's important to have players with great experience because the pressure will become very strong for everyone". I think we are talking about an important player for the national team.

More news: Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Bill to Protect Special Counsel Mueller
More news: Russian lawyer in Trump Tower meeting was Kremlin 'Informant'
More news: May rate rise on ice as GDP data 'worse than feared'

Meanwhile, Conte says it is unfair to criticise the club for selling Mo Salah after the Liverpool winger emerged as the outstanding player in English football this season.

But the French midfielder insists he will be fully fit when the World Cup kicks off this summer in Russian Federation.

The 31-year-old has only started nine League matches all season with his last coming in a 4-1 defeat at Watford at the start of February 2018.

"I realise the manager has decisions to make".

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER