9 killed in multiple blasts in Jalalabad attack

Marsha Scott
May 14, 2018

He said security forces killed six of the attackers after two of them carried out suicide attacks near the building's entrance. Four bodies and about 20 wounded people had been brought to Jalalabad hospitals so far, said Dr Najibullah Kamawal, director of the city's health department.

There has been no immediate claim of responsibility.

Gunmen rushed the building following the first blast at the entrance, a member of the provincial council told Reuters.

There has been a coordinated attack by suicide bombers and gunmen at a government building in the city of Jalalabad, where a gunbattle is under way.

He also added that the attack left at least forty two people wounded, including civilians, Customs Department workers, and security personnel.

More news: Israel army provides maps of Iran sites struck in Syria
More news: Yates soars into Giro lead, Chaves wins stage
More news: Huddersfield stay in EPL with draw

Taliban militants and fighters of Islamic State outfit have presence in the province, some 120 km east of Afghan capital of Kabul.

The militant attack is the latest in a series across Afghanistan this year. Officials are concerned that a low voter turnout will undermine the credibility of the poll.

However, the Taliban is now taking part in its annual spring offensive and has launched a number of attacks in recent weeks.

Their Operation Al Khandaq will target United States forces and "their intelligence agents" as well as their "internal supporters", a Taliban statement said on April 25.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER