USA military killed 500 civilians a year ago - Pentagon

Marsha Scott
June 3, 2018

The coalition completed a review in April of 159 potential civilian casualty reports and found five were considered credible, resulting in the nine civilian fatalities, a statement said.

The announcement was made in an annual report released by the Pentagon yesterday, a month after it was due, and includes casualties in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Yemen.

It was the first time ever Pentagon released figures for civilian casualties caused by USA military operations.

Earlier it was reported that the Pentagon spent $ 20 million on the study of UFOs.

The U.S. Department of defense (Pentagon) gave the Congress a report according to which during United States military operations in 2017 499 killed civilians.

Across Iraq and Syria, casualty incidents tied to likely Coalition strikes more than tripled compared to the year before.

More news: United States set to veto UN resolution on protecting Palestinians
More news: China warns United States trade benefits hinge on stopping tariffs
More news: Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich to become Israeli citizen, gets UK visiting Visa

The Pentagon says it has not received any "credible reports" of civilian casualties in two other countries, Libya and Somalia.

But the deaths raised questions about growing American military involvement in Somalia after President Trump approved expanded operations, often in support of Somali forces, against the Shabab, an extremist group linked to Al Qaeda.

Overall, between 3,923 and 6,102 non-combatants were likely killed in these 766 events in 2017- a 215% increase on the 1,243 to 1,904 civilians estimated as likely killed by Coalition strikes in 2016. In Iraq and Syria, 39,577 bombs were released in 2017, up from 30,743 in 2016. In February, UK-based monitor Airwars said that up to 9,444 civilians had been killed by the coalition.

While the DoD acknowledged the discrepancies, it attributed them to "different types of information and different methodologies to assess whether civilian casualties have occurred".

The only comparable figures released by former President Barack Obama came in 2016, when he signed an executive order requiring the government to release figures for civilian casualties caused by USA airstrikes meant to target combatants in non-war zones.

"Civilian casualties are a tragic and at times unavoidable effect of the use of force in situations of armed conflict or in the exercise of a state's inherent right of self-defense", Obama stated in the order.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER