Heavy-hearted Murray pulls out of Wimbledon

Hope Soto
July 5, 2018

Andy Murray on Sunday delivered the message Wimbledon was dreading: he is pulling out of the tournament.

"It is with a heavy heart that I'm announcing that I'll be withdrawing from Wimbledon this year", the two-time Wimbledon champion wrote.

However, his subsequent explanation would seem to contradict that reasoning.

"If you're just not feeling it in the morning to walk out there and play best-of-five a few times in a row, what's the point?"

The 31-year-old further said that he would start practising from Monday for the United States hardcourt season.

"There's nothing about it I'd be looking forward to giving up". Kate, a lifelong tennis fan, often shows her support to Andy Murray and has even watched him play at the men's final.

More news: With Messi and Ronaldo gone, the Balon d'Or battle is wide open
More news: Trump’s Judicial Adviser Names Four Potential Supreme Court Nominees
More news: Warriors Sign DeMarcus Cousins to 1 Year Deal

Murray's first-round match against Benoit Paire was scheduled for tomorrow.

Two-time victor Murray had been expected to play having given no indication he would pull out despite concerns over his fitness following over a year out with a hip injury. Considering the circumstances, I think I competed pretty well against the level of opposition that I was up against.

It has been a long road back for Murray from the awful hip injury that has kept him out of the game for months.

While Murray lost his opening comeback match against Nick Kyrgios at Queen's Club, he beat fellow three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka at Eastbourne last week before losing to new British number one Kyle Edmund in straight sets.

Murray has since slipped down the rankings and it was feared he could retire. "That's really positive for me as part of getting better, to compete again", he said. The 19-year-old was playing at Wimbledon for the second time after being given a wild card. "I don't think I played unbelievable in the matches, but I think I've done well, considering the opponents, the level of the guys that I've played against", he said. There were just so many unknowns.

Lucky loser Jason Jung from Chinese Taipei will replace him in the draw.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER