Rescuers To Extract Final Five From Thai Cave Tuesday

Marsha Scott
July 12, 2018

"This was a mission impossible that we have accomplished".

In a nationally televised address, Prayuth said that the government's efforts, the assistance of people in Thailand and overseas, and the outpouring of moral support made the mission a success.

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Thank you for signing up for the Speed Feed Newsletter. We ask to pray that this operation is a success. "This is the lesson I want Thailand to remember, this is the lesson I want the world to see".

But bringing out the remaining four boys and their coach could take more than one operation, Narongsak warned. On Monday, four more were brought to safety. "We were so scared and anxious". I promise I will care for the kids as best as possible. "I'm so happy the children came out safely".

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha tamped down buzz that the boys had been drugged for the journey out of the cave.

His wife told the BBC: "He's been praised as a hero because of who he was".

Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported that the children were sedated and placed on stretchers to prevent them from panicking during the rescue mission from the Tham Luang cave complex.

The CEO of Tesla and SpaceX was - if his Twitter and Instagram accounts are to be believed - in Thailand on Monday touring the cave where a team of 12 soccer players, aged 11 to 16, became stuck with their coach on June 23.

Heavy rains lashed the northern Thai region late Monday and a steady downpour has continued Tuesday.

Rescuers had been racing against time because monsoon rains were expected to kick up this week.

Rescue efforts bore fruit on Sunday as four of the children were pulled from the ordeal, while an additional four were added to the rescue tally on Monday.

More news: Harry, Meghan mobbed by fans on first official visit to Ireland
More news: Cardi B, Offset welcome baby girl
More news: Markets around the world are getting pummelled as Trump's trade war intensifies

Four boys and their 25-year-old football coach "will be extracted on Tuesday", rescue chief Narongsak Osottanakorn said.

"They are getting forced to do something that no kid has ever done before", Ivan Karadzic, a diver involved with the rescue mission told BBC.

"The kids are footballers so they have high immune systems", Jedsada said. Medical experts say they are in high spirits and generally healthy.

"To not receive food, we can still survive for many months but what's necessary is water, which the cave has, and around this time there's a lot in the cave, and they chose clean water to drink", he said.

They are still being quarantined from their parents because of the risk of infection and will probably be kept in hospital for a week to undergo tests, officials said.

Parents of the first four boys freed on Sunday have been able to visit them, but had to wear protective suits and stand two metres away as a precaution.

It is understood that none of the boys will be discharged for at least seven days.

Indeed, news of the boys' plight reached all corners of the globe, with Federation Internationale de Football Association chief Gianni Infantino having pledged to invite the Wild Boar Academy to the World Cup final if they are deemed well enough to make the trip.

"Please get out fast!" read another.

The Journal noted that the story of the boys' entrapment and rescue will likely be retold in other media like TV and books in the coming months.

"Just returned from Cave 3".

He wrote in a tweet posted this morning: "Mini-sub is ready if needed". He said he left the equipment there in case rescuers could use it in the future.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER