North Korea said to be working on new missiles

Marsha Scott
August 2, 2018

U.S. spy agencies have detected signs of North Korea building new intercontinental ballistic missiles at a plant near Pyongyang, the Washington Post reported Monday.

The Washington Post reported on Monday that United States intelligence agencies are seeing signs that work is under way on one or two liquid-fueled ICMBs at the Sanumdong research facility, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

But he insisted the Trump administration was still making progress in its talks with Pyongyang.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un also vowed during his summit with US President Donald Trump last month to work towards denuclearisation, but there has not been a concrete agreement to accomplish that goal.

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Tuesday played down the significance of the Post report.

The photo includes a vehicle the Post says is similar to those used by North Korea to transport missiles. "Things don't change overnight", Conway later added.

The lack of progress has been a source of concern for many observers, especially as global sanctions are beginning to ease and news reports indicate that North Korea is continuing its nuclear and ballistic programs. Trump made his remarks after the North Korea-focused 38 North website released recent satellite imagery that seems to show dismantlement underway at Sohae.

However, it called on the SDF to remain alert to possible threats from North Korea.

More news: Daniel Ricciardo flips the bird to Valttari Bottas during Hungarian Grand Prix
More news: Brazil Star Responds Transfer Rumours Amid Man Utd & Real Links
More news: UK's top envoy makes 'Japanese wife' gaffe in China

The Sanumdong factory had produced two of North Korea's ICBMs including the Hwasong-15, which is theoretically capable of reaching the US East Coast.

Fifty-five boxes containing the remains of troops who died in the Korean War will now be taken to Hawaii for identification.

More than 400 caskets of remains found in North Korea were returned to the United States between the 1990s and 2005, with the bodies of some 330 other Americans also accounted for, according to the DPAA.

President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

The Pentagon estimates that almost 7,700 USA troops are unaccounted for from the war; among them are 5,300 believed to have been killed north of the 38th parallel, which largely follows the boundary between North and South Korea.

Efforts to recover remains in North Korea have been fraught with political and other obstacles since the war ended on July 27, 1953. "But even if they are, you still have a nuclear deterrent, so it would still be a huge risk for the U.S.to try to attack". "Giving up the nuclear capability will violate the two fundamental centers of gravity in the North Korean regime".

The Games' opening ceremony is August 18, which leaves Kim, who has launched a series of diplomatic engagements in 2018, only a few weeks to decide whether to attend the event that will bring the teams of North and South Korea together. "We have not been taken for a ride", he said.

An Ik-san for the talks aimed at fleshing out the summit agreement to make joint efforts to alleviate tensions and "practically eliminate the danger of war".

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER