CNN Sent Another Suspicious Package After Week of Bomb Scares

Marsha Scott
October 30, 2018

CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker notified staffers about the new package in a Monday morning memo.

Earlier on Monday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said a suspicious package addressed to CNN's headquarters had been intercepted at an Atlanta post office. Another package was delivered to the cable network's NY offices last week, causing an evacuation.

A third suspected pipe bomb has been intercepted en route to CNN as the man alleged to have sent 14 other pipe bombs to prominent critics of President Donald Trump was due in court today. None of the devices exploded.

In this courtroom sketch, Cesar Sayoc, left, appears in federal court, Monday, Oct. 29, 2018, in Miami.

Later on Monday, a manila envelope bearing "some similarities" to last week's packages containing potentially explosive devices was found in an editor's mailbox.

Zucker noted that all mail is being screened off-site - so the offices were never in any danger.

More news: Leicester City owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha died in helicopter crash, says club
More news: Tesla faces Federal Bureau of Investigation probe over Model 3 numbers
More news: Aubameyang double inspires Arsenal comeback against Leicester

The two packages that authorities say Sayoc directed to CNN previously were targeted at former director of national intelligence James Clapper and former CIA director John Brennan.

A man who allegedly sent over a dozen mail bombs to liberal public figures reportedly had a list of targets "in the hundreds". He was expected to be formally charged on Monday. He is being prosecuted in NY, so his Florida hearing will likely be brief and process-oriented.

Investigators say Sayoc's van, covered in pro-Trump stickers, was his home and bomb lab. Authorities say none of the devices had a trigger mechanism and Sayoc said he never meant to harm anyone. The main issue will be whether he waives extradition to NY and whether he seeks release on bail.

Among the other recipients were former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former US Attorney General Eric Holder, California Senator Kamala Harris, New Jersey Senator Cory Booker and California Rep. Maxine Waters. Officials say he was working through that list which included individuals we have reported were sent packages.

At least some of these bombs were not capable of exploding because of flaws in their design.

Trump tweeted: "There is great anger in our Country caused in part by inaccurate, and even fraudulent, reporting of the news".

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER