Jamal Khashoggi Was Strangled And Dismembered: Turkish Prosecutor

Marsha Scott
November 1, 2018

Khashoggi, a 59-year-old Washington Post contributor, was killed after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 to obtain paperwork ahead of his upcoming wedding.

Turkey's foreign minister warned Saudi Arabia on Monday against prolonging an inquiry into Jamal Khashoggi's slaying, urging the kingdom to accept its "very large" responsibility in investigating the writer's death as the Saudi chief prosecutor arrived in Istanbul for talks.

Mumbai/Ankara: Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed by "strangulation" as soon as he entered consulate as part of premeditated killing, a Turkish prosecutor said.

Al-Mojeb wouldn't answer some of the key questions Turkey asked, the statement said, including: Where is Khashoggi's body?

The whereabouts of the remains of Mr Khashoggi - a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman - also remain unknown despite "good-willed efforts" by Turkey to uncover the truth, the statement added.

"I and my government would like all those responsible, from the person who gave this order to those who carried it out, to be brought to justice and punished under global law", she said. "He should not allow my fiance's murder to be covered up".

Turkey reportedly denied al-Mojeb's request to have the full results of its investigations turned over to him, asking instead for Saudi help in locating Khashoggi's body, which has still not been found. Al-Mojeb reportedly denied that the Saudis know where the body is.

Cengiz said Khashoggi was apprehensive about going to the consulate because he feared he might be detained given his prior criticism of Saudi Arabia and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.

More news: Boston mob boss James 'Whitey' Bulger found dead in prison
More news: Secret Service intercepts potential explosive devices sent to Hillary Clinton, Obama
More news: Resumption of Iran sanctions increases uncertainty in crude oil

They said the Saudi dissident had been "cut up" and his face "disfigured".

The comments appear to signal France upping the pressure on Saudi authorities, having so far declined to openly criticise the Riyadh regime over a death that has badly strained relations between the Middle East kingdom and the West.

Turkey has not publicly blamed Saudi Arabia for the murder.

Meanwhile senior United States officials have put unprecedented pressure on Saudi Arabia to halt the bombing in Yemen.

He also wrote that Mojeb was in pursuit of Khashoggi's phone, which the journalist handed to his Turkish fiancee before entering the consulate.

Trump has hedged his criticism of Saudi leaders over Khashoggi, insisting he does not want to imperil a "tremendous order" of $110 billion of weapons he says will support 500,000 United States jobs - figures that experts say are highly exaggerated.

The head of the Saudi investigation, Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb, last week acknowledged that the killing was "premeditated", based on Turkish evidence. A Saudi prosecutor said that 18 people were arrested in connection with the death. "Not only for those who murdered my beloved Jamal, but for those who organised it and gave the order for it".

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER