Saudi sisters found dead stayed at luxury hotels, maxed out credit cards

Marsha Scott
November 3, 2018

Police said the sisters had been in Manhattan since September 1, staying at expensive hotels and ordering in pairs of meals until a credit card they were using maxed out.

Investigators are struggling to piece together the mystery of how two sisters from Saudi Arabia who lived in Virginia ended up dead with their feet and waists tied together on a riverbank in NY. As indicated by the AP, the two sisters had moved with their family to Fairfax from Saudi Arabia in 2015.

According to Shea, investigators believe the sisters left Fairfax, Virginia, on either August 23 or 24 and took different methods of transportation, including Uber, to NY, where they arrived on or about September 1. In August, Tala was reported missing, and in October, someone again reported the sisters missing, according to the Times.

Tala Farea, 16, and Rotana Farea, 22, were discovered on the rocky Manhattan riverbank fully clothed and taped together with duct tape around their waists and ankles.

The sisters were Saudi citizens, and their nation's royal consulate general has been in contact with their family and has appointed a lawyer for the investigation.

Police previously said their bodies showed no signs of trauma.

The two have been identified as Tala Farea, 16, and her sister, Rotana Farea, 22, both of Fairfax, Virginia, the NYPD said.

Despite initial reports that the sisters were bound together, Shea said he would describe the tape as "not binding them together, but keeping them together".

More news: Klay Thompson Smashes Steph Curry's Record for Most 3-Pointers
More news: Red Dead Redemption 2 Achieves Biggest Opening Weekend in Entertainment History
More news: Haddin refutes 'arrogant' claim by culture review

The cause of death has not been determined as forensics reports are being compiled.

"They were sitting with their hands in their heads", Chief Shea said.

ASSOCIATED PRESS Passport photos of Tala and Rotana Farea, found dead in NY. A George Mason spokesman called the news of her death "tragic", and said the university was cooperating with police.

But the Saudi newspaper "Arab News", citing family members, reported that the search was called off when it was discovered she was visiting her sister at an unspecified college in NY.

They appeared in good health on security video police located from about a week before their bodies were found, Shea said.

They had been in the United States for two to three years, according to Shea. "Detectives have filled in some of the pieces, but we are still looking to get a picture of what happened over the last two months".

The sisters' mother told detectives that the day before the bodies were discovered, she received a call from an official at the Saudi Arabian Embassy, ordering the family to leave the US because her daughters had applied for asylum.

Other reports by MaliBehiribAe

Discuss This Article